Raising a child who has food allergies brings many unexpected challenges into our lives. Life would be much easier without having to deal with food allergies. However, think of all you have learned and the positive ways food allergy has affected your life.
Nothing is all bad or good, and food allergy is no exception. Listed below are some of the positive ways food allergy has enriched the lives of families just like yours.
* Your family is aware of what they eat, and is likely to make healthy food choices.
* You are active in your child’s academic life; the administration, nurse, and teachers all know you.
* You’ve become more than you were (stronger, wiser, more assertive) to keep your child healthy and happy.
* Your child knows what it feels like to be different and has learned to be compassionate to others.
* Your family has learned to “look out for each other,” allowing children to learn true caring.
* Your child has learned that his or her actions can have extreme consequences and has learned to make responsible decisions.
* Food allergy teaches patience, safety, and restraint as opposed to immediate gratification (e.g., the label must be read before eating an item, food cannot be shared, etc.)
* Your child grows up focusing on activities rather than snacks and meals.
These are only a few ways that food allergy can affect our lives in positive ways. There are many, many others. Feel free to share some of yours with us. We’d love to hear from you.
Eat happy 🙂
Share this article!